Wednesday, September 14, 2011

So I was alone

9:30AM and I just dropped off my sister at her college algebra class. As I'm driving alone in search of parking, I feel fine. I don't even notice a void that needs to be filled with company, because of course, at this particular instance I don't need anyone. Duh.

Ha, so anyway, I eventually find a spot on the third floor after circling the first and second floor. I dread the stairs oh so much. After shutting off the engine I realized that my lil sister had left her 7-up in the car, opened and still cold.

*sllllllup* Soda doesn't taste as good as it used to. I pick up the can to throw away.

So there I was, slowly walking with my green/blue backpack humming a Cage the Elephant song because their CD has been playing in my car for the last week. When I walk I drag my feet often and in the parking garage the sound emitted is enhanced and echoed.

Flopflopflopflopflopflopflop.

I rush down the stairs because I hate them so much, they make me so tired because I'm unhealthy. That's okie, I'm working out now so soon I won't even care.

AHHHHHH. I tripped over my flip flop on the last step, but caught myself which then looked like some awkward dance to the witnesses around me.

The weather is fantastic today, though I wish the sun wouldn't shine so harshly on my face. I should really start wearing sunblock/lotion so my face won't age early. The warmth feels nice though.

Walking down the Washington Center towards the Student Union I noticed Chik-Fil-A and GameStop. Am I hungry? I'm broke, so that's not an option. I decide to rush up to the third floor in order to ignore the rest of the food places. An elevator door just opened, how convenient! As the doors shut guilt crawls in because I remember telling myself I would only take the stairs from now on. It's healthier for me. Oh well, I'll walk on the way down.

There's the old TV room, as I peered through the window I could see lots of Asians as always. I pull open the heavy glass door and walk in, there's my usual group. The two tables the kids sat in looked pretty full so I didn't want to cause an awkward situation by attempting to squeeze in. Instead, I take a single seat with a movable desk attached to the side. It's pretty convenient since it's next to an outlet where I may plug in my laptop.

Nikolay spots me, so I smile.

Quickly I pull out my laptop and plug it in so I have something to do.

After a few minutes of aimlessly browsing the interwebz Lior gets up and walks over to me.

"You know, sitting by yourself isn't going to help you talk to people."
"I know..."
"So how are you doing?"

I smile my conversational, friendly smile and am about to answer when Will notices me.

"Nhi! When did you get here?? Why are you all the way over there?"
"You guys looked pretty crowded over there already, and I needed an outlet."

As Lior is standing next to me Will gets up, walks over and sits into the seat next to me.

After that, Claudel sends me a message on Facebook right away.

"Why are u sitting away from the group this morning? I was there and you belong to the group more then I do."

I look up to see Nikolay staring at me, probably blanking out. It was kind of awkward so I tried to get his attention, smiled and waved.

Eventually everyone left to their classes after the many short small talks. And so I was alone.

Well, I am alone now typing up this entry...

but this made me realize that joining a group of people would have probably been less awkward than sitting alone.

I'll try my best next time. Ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment