Friday, February 18, 2011

Relationships: The Beginning

          Here's a story about my first relationship/crush if you care to read. It all began in Kindergarten when I was five in Louisiana. (Can you imagine me as an tiny, adorable Asian girl with a heavy southern accent?) At my private school, classrooms would always celebrate each student's birthday with a party. (**If you ask me yourself, maybe I'll tell you why my parents decided to stick me into a $20,000/year private school later... but it's a story you just cannot guess.) Anyway, a party was going to be held for this boy named Brandon the next day so my mom and I went shopping for a present. In my mind I knew the perfect present to buy: a GARGANTUAN crawfish wearing a crown filled with heart candies!!! My mother had me fill out a generic birthday card for Brandon and I was extremely excited to attend school the next day. As I walked in the class with a crawfish half my size in arm, everyone quickly turned to stare. “Happy birthday, Brandon!” I said cheerily as the card was handed to the birthday boy in his party hat. Although his eyes were glued (as well as the rest of the class's) to the heart candies, I unexpectedly went to sit down in my seat still holding the crawfish instead. I then slowly turned over to my right and shyly handed over my gift to Henry. Not the birthday boy?! :O


          “I bought this just for you...” I looked up and smiled when I noticed Henry's eyes lit up; he then gave me the biggest hug a five year old could possibly give and suddenly I was the happiest five year old little Asian girl in the world! In my mind, Henry was the boy who deserved that present. After all, he was the boy who always talked to me, played with me during nap time, got in trouble with me and ran with me during PE. When I handed Henry the present, my teacher pulled me over to the side and asked me if the present was actually meant for Brandon. Upset that she didn't understand, I told her I was positive I meant to give Henry the present. Well, I did give Brandon a birthday card! What else could he expect if I have never spoken a word to him? At home I angrily told my mom the story completely believing that the teacher was an insane woman until my mom scolded me. Now that I'm older, I kind of realize how ridiculous I was. However, to this day Henry still remembers the crawfish and tells me how good that candy was; he ate all of it by himself!

No comments:

Post a Comment