Thursday, February 17, 2011

Programmers (Assholes vs. Nice guys) / The Smart and Cute Girl Effect


          Here's one way some non-computer people categorize programmers: those who act like assholes because they know more about computers than you do and those who are helpful because they're nice. However, it is said that an exception called "the smart and cute girl effect" turns all programmers (actually all guys) into nice guys. However, if the girl is cute but not in the loop of programming, then the “asshole” will continue to act haughty about computers. For example, a pretty girl at UCF asked a guy wearing an XKCD shirt what “sudo” meant to which he replied, “You wouldn't get it” as if it were a complicated answer. Of course I then explained it to her, opened up a terminal to provide an example and found a Google result to help. Unfortunately, she still didn't understand... Anyway, the guy was really friendly to me as we were playing a card game. According to the girl, he was nice only because I was a cute Asian girl who understood computers. Another example: Two guys were being jerks to the girls at the 3rd floor table until I walked up, booted up my laptop with Ubuntu and started playing StarCraft II. To the girls at the table, the guys suddenly became amiable and held actual, friendly conversations with me. Apparently this was because I was a cute Asian girl who could talk about computer stuff.

          Well, I refuse to believe this theory!!!!! First of all, I am not that vain to believe I am so incredibly cute enough to turn assholes into sweethearts. Secondly, I am really not that computer savvy. It's just a hobby for me at the moment. In fact, the conversation from the second example only included basic “computer and programming topics”: RTS games, Linux, WINE, Virtual Machines, Codeblocks (which is SUPER useful for developers who wish to reach out to customers on multiple platforms) and reading/debugging code. And for the last reason why this smart and cute girl theory is false is because I know a few computer programmers who appear to be assholes but really are not. As Brett Giller puts it, the way programmers talk is “just a cold form of conversing.” One must know that programmers think and speak in logical terms; that is why they may come off as arrogant to others. You see, logic is extremely important in programming; it's the basis of what they do. So you can't just categorize these logical guys as pricks or douche bags if you don't think like them or at least understand their minds' processes.

          One might rebuttal that these haughty programmers are assholes because nice ones exist and help out. Well, that may seem true but the way I see it is nice programmers have only developed more socially acceptable habits. And I know quite a few examples of guys who are very popular with the girls just because they are able to hold small talk. It may seem like programmers only converse about games, coding, new technology and other stereotypical topics, but that's just the first topics they discuss to find common interests when meeting new friends. Give them a chance! (I do and that's why I love them... haha. *dreamy sigh*) <3

**I just realized how partial I am to programmers when writing this. Lol.
***Note that programmers are friendly to one another because they share common interests.

No comments:

Post a Comment