Saturday, August 31, 2024

When I cough the fits start
No more control 
I lose myself as I'm thrown out of my body
I gasp for air but my breath is shallow 
It's not enough 
So I heave 
I need to expel everything from my lungs
I need to breathe 
The sharp intake desperately imbibes what it can
My lungs full of water, mucus, pus expand and try to break free
But it comes in too quickly 
My lungs do not feel my other body parts
But they sure do feel the lungs making its way
Taking up space
But that unexpected reflexive breath for air
Pays no mind to my ribs 
Does not know my throat exists 
Is not part of my digestive system 
The need for air now overwrites all other functions 

So I swallow down more liquids 
I cough up what I can from my lungs
The first breath wasn't enough 
I cough again 
This time an even bigger breath
And I am drowning 
There is a film of phlegm which blocks my airways that has been intimately felt with each previous breath
But not this one 
This is the cough where I choke 

There's a reason why I choose to kill myself through drowning most often

This is how it's meant to be

No comments:

Post a Comment